2020-02-24

Photo of the Week 2020-02-24

"It looks like a painting" - Compliment or not ?

Windswept Winter I

The comment "It looks like a painting" is one I see made on photographs from time to time. In fact one of my recent photos, the one featured above in this post, received it a number of times. As the photographer, I'm not sure whether to be flattered or a little offended.

Presumably the viewers making the comment intend it to be a compliment, but let's briefly question their choice to use a painting as the comparator. Is it that they are recognizing the artistic talent required to create a painting and are making the comparison with that in mind? Are they judging that the photograph is over processed and crossed the line losing connection to the original capture. Do they see painting as a "higher" form of art than photography and mean to suggest that the photograph is approaching that level? Do they really like it and not know what else to say? All are possibilities.


Then there is the debate around whether photography is truly an art form, one which I think you can guess which side I'm on. It's a debate that goes back to the very invention of photography. While there has been greater and greater acceptance of photography as an art form over the years, there are still those who say nay. And here in lies the 'niggle' with me. The comment "it looks like a painting" almost comes across as saying "it's nearly there" or "not quite" or "good try but it will never be an actual painting".


You might want to check out this link to an interesting bit on Photos That Look Like Paintings.

Here is a collage of several images I made on the outing that produced the one above. Quite a productive outing I might add. It's a bit unusual for me to get several 'keepers' from a single outing or more precisely a single spot during an outing. They've all been posted to my social media streams over the past few days and yes, more than one received the comment "it looks like a paining".



As to me being "a little offended" at the comment, I'm not really ... well, maybe just a little.

Edit: Here is another link that may readers may find interesting "The Bastard Art".

DJE

4 comments:

  1. Good morning Doug. As a friend (I hope!) and fellow photographer, I am replying to your post. I am one of the individuals who made the comment that it looks like a painting (I actually think I said a "drawing" and I made that comment with unequivocal respect. I understand your hesitation perhaps in accepting it as a compliment. I have also had people mention it to me on some of my work and yes, I have also wondered if that was a good thing or not. I have also viewed paintings and commented (and heard others comment), "wow, it looks like a photograph". Should the artist be offended by that? The fact is, your photos (pretty well all of them) are works that I admire. I love the tones and composition of this collection in particular. Looking forward to enjoying your future works of art! Cheers Shari

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my friend, yes I certainly consider you as my friend. I appreciate that you stopped by to read the blog post. One does wonder at times if this dribble-drabble reaches anyone.
      I'm flattered and appreciate your kind words regarding my work. As much as I'll say I do this for my own creative outlet and enjoyment, it's great to have feedback and particularly to know when your work strikes a chord with others.
      I thought it worth putting some brief ramblings to a post as method to help me work out my own position on the issue and hopefully clarify those of others. Thanks for adding your thoughts to this interesting discussion.

      Delete
  2. Well I just thought it was some really interesting drift patterns!

    ReplyDelete