2018-12-03

Photo of the Week 2018-12-03


Keady Trees - 2018-11-30


A recent question on a photography social media page prompted me to think about my own choices when it comes to aspect ratio. With that prompting, I decided to more thoroughly evaluate one of my my recent images using a variety of aspect ratios.

"Aspect Ratio ? What is Aspect Ratio?" you ask. Well here is the explanation of Aspect Ratio according to Wikipedia.

In responding to the question online, I commented that in choosing an aspect ratio, it obviously it begins with the aspect ratio native to, or selected on the capture device. Since I shoot primarily with a DSLR, my initial compositions start with 2:3 and I change in post processing to suit my vision for the image, either preconceived or determined after evaluating in computer screen.

There are any number of factors that can enter the decision process of what aspect ratio to use for a particular image. Since I begin with 2:3 in camera and compose accordingly, the majority of my work remains at this ratio. I also print a good amount of my work and have standardized on this ratio as a matter of economy considering printing and framing materials. When I decide that an image will significantly benefit from another ratio, I'll crop to suit, though I seldom if ever crop to arbitrary ratios, it's just how I roll. If I use a "custom" ratio, it's usually based on the "golden ratio". The panoramas I shoot are all cropped to suit the scene after images are stitched together.  

In the end, it's the personal preference of the photographer and what they select to represent their vision.

Below are examples of this week's image cropped to various aspect ratios. The main image above is custom and presented in the "golden ratio" that is somewhat less in height than the 2:3 crop. This allowed for removal of what could be considered an excessive amount of empty sky, and still allows for emphasis of the wider expanse of field around this croup of conifers, which is what always catches my eye when I drive past.

aspect ratio 2:3
aspect ratio - custom
aspect ratio 5:7

aspect ratio 4:5


aspect ratio 1:1



Looking for another perspective on this topic, here's a short article from DPS you may find interesting:
Aspect Ratio: What it is and Why it Matters - Andrew S. Gibson 

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment