2016-04-18

Photo of the Week 2016-04-18

Photographically Speaking ... it was a busy weekend.

The Latow Photographers Guild held their annual seminar April 17 & 18 in Burlington. This year it was:

PHOTOGRAPHICALLY SPEAKING” — A DAY OF INSPIRATION AND INSTRUCTION WITH DAVID DUCHEMIN

I have been following David somewhat regularly for several years, since around the time he released his first book, Within The Frame. Though I have heard him online, this was the first time I have seen him speak live and had the opportunity to talk to him in person.

Photographically Speaking - David duChemin
The weekend consisted of a full day seminar on Saturday with 3 mini-seminars on Sunday for a full weekend of discussion around Light, Line and Moment (yes, I got the message David). I took in the complete package and despite chairs that were designed to torture your butt and back, I stayed glued to my seat the whole time.

David is an enthusiastic speaker focused on the creative process of making photographic images and eschews the preoccupation with gear so prevalent in photographic discussions today. I'll refrain from trying to provide a synopsis of his photographic beliefs and approach, do yourself a favour and look him up online or just click this link and start there.

For the final session of the weekend, David talked about "The Visual Imagination". This was the 'abstract - impressionistic' session of the bunch. I have so many quotes written down to remind me of all the good discussion and suggestions from the weekend, but one from the final session will stick with me for a while ... concerning abstract / impressionistic art ...

"It's not meant to be got. It's meant to be felt."
                                                  - David duChemin -

From my own body of work, here (again) is an image from Venice, one that I spent considerable time post processing, working on a technique ... for me it just has the right feel.

portal through time
DJE

 

No comments:

Post a Comment