2014-12-08

Photo of the Week 2014-12-08

The eyes of a Master ...
Michelangelo by Daniele da Volterra
A portrait of Michelangelo sketched by Daniele da Volterra welcomes you on a video screen as you enter, Michelangelo: Quest for Genius at the AGO

I was immediately struck by the soulfulness that da Volterra had captured in Michelangelo's eyes.





My visit to Florence last year kindled a desire to learn more about Michelangelo. I'm currently reading "The Agony and the Ecstasy", the biographical novel by Irving Stone. So when I heard Michelangelo: Quest for Genius was on at the AGO, I immediately made plans to go. 

The sketches by Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni on exhibit offer some insight into the process of a master. It's really a "behind the scenes "look at his approach and the process that likely preceded the creation of his well known masterpieces.

Surprisingly, photography (no flash) was permitted in the exhibit and I had my little EOS M along for the occasion. I made a few photographs of the sketches on display, to go along with those from my visit to Florence as creative inspiration from the Master.






DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment