2013-11-18

Photo of the Week 2013-11-18

Perhaps the highlight of highlights for me on our Italy trip was getting to see Michelangelo's David, The Original. I had not expected to ever be so moved, so stirred, so captivated by any single work of art.

Our trip to the Galleria dell'Accademia di Firenze began with an introduction to our local Guide, Rosa. Her enthusiasm for Micelangelo, his art and of course Firenze's beloved David were simply contagious. She got our group organized and set up in the queue for entry to the museum while she answered questions and provided some of the history of Florentine art, Renaissance art, Michelangelo and David. Entry to the museum required us to pass through security and metal detectors before Rosa could lead us through the preliminary exhibits. I expected it would take some time before we would see David, but very quickly Rosa announced in her charming Italian accent; "and now we go see David".

Passing through a large door way, we entered at the end of what can be described as a grand hall. The unfinished works of Michelangelo including those known as the "prisoners" glowed in warm light as they line the hall leading to David standing under a single high dome in stark cool light emphasizing the white of the larger than life Carrara marble figure.

As we approached and circled the statue, I lost myself, studying the work, the scale, the details, amazed that a figure carved from solid stone could be so life-like that it might move at any moment. As with many of the museums and churches we visited on our trip, photography was not allowed inside, so I point you to online resources for a sense of the  experience. David (Michelangelo), the Wiki article is a good starting point. The scrolling banner of the UFIZZI.org site has images of the original David that help me relive the experience. I ended up purchasing a few postcard size images of David from the museum gift shop so I would at least have some photographs from the visit. 

My own photography was limited to replicas of David. Notably the replica that replaced the original in Piazza della Signoria and the bronze replica in Piazzale Michelangleo. I found it difficult to capture an image that I was satisfied with. Lighting, backgrounds, lack of accessibility all added to the challenge. Going through my images, I've selected and processed a series images made of details from the replica in Piazza della Signoria one evening.


DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment