2011-04-08

Memorial Cross

Memorial Cross


Sgt. Ernest James Garfield England
B67380
8 Canadian Reconnaissance Regiment
14th Canadian Hussars
Killed in action 1945-04-08


Every time I open the chest that holds my collection of family treasures I am moved deeply. There are not a lot of items in the collection but they have the power to release a flood of memories, questions and ultimately emotion.

Quite some time ago an image created by a friend stirred an urge to document some of my family treasures when I was able to set up for studio lighting and "do them justice". I made this image several months back and decided that I would hold onto it and post it on the anniversary of my grandfather's death. I find the "presentation" to be the most difficult element of making still life images. Normally an existing scene captures my eye and I work to find a composition that enhances what is already there. In this case things were completely different, the starting point was basically a "blank canvas". I always find it hardest when the canvas, page or scene is blank. Just getting started with something usually gets things flowing. Here, a couple of awful initial shots on a basic studio table and background led to an afternoon of puttering about and I had something respectable (I think) to show for it.

The medal is my Grandfather's Memorial Cross, awarded to my Grandmother as his widow. Along with the medal in it's original box, I have the letter and envelope that accompanied it. Obviously I never knew my grandfather and yet I feel a deep, strong connection. I'm glad that my father travelled to Holland in 1995 for the 50th anniversary celebrations and was able to visit his father's grave in Holten Canadian War Cemetery for the first time. I had always wanted to make the trip myself or better yet with my father and sadly I have lost that opportunity. Lessons learned ....

DJE

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully done and expressed, Doug. Both the image and the words.

    ADT

    ReplyDelete