2011-02-20

Photo of the Week 2011-02-21

In Cold Darkness


I had an opportunity for a return visit to the abandoned Massey Ferguson complex in Brantford (again with authorized access) this past weekend. A monthly photo challenge to make a self portrait and a suggestion to use this location as the setting came together nicely and resulted in the image above ...

I had planned to find a dramatically lit corner or alcove to work with off-camera strobes, something that I have yet to become competent with. After going directly to a location I knew of from the previous visit and working there for some time, I did not have what I was looking for. Picking up my gear, I went back into a large room where sunlight was beaming through holes in the dilapidated structure. There was a particular spot I had noticed on my way in, I would set up to use a beam of light isolate my profile in the darkness.

The air was frigid and still. Stepping into the light, the steam of my breath hung in the air ... click ... the image was frozen.

DJE

2 comments:

  1. I can see why you were so excited about this shot Doug.
    It really is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great set up & nice shot, kind of reminds me of that profile pic your Dad took of you when you were a kid, any thoughts of revisiting that shot now as a self portrait?

    ReplyDelete