2024-09-23

Photo of the Week 2024-09-23

 
I don't do "Travel Photography" per se, I do Photography, while I Travel. What's the difference? Well, to me Travel Photography is done in a documentary style that that provides a straightforward and accurate representation of people, places, objects and events. Straightforward being the main differentiator.

When I do Photography while I Travel, in addition to the straightforward, common subject compositions to document the journey, I'm looking for something a little different, something creative and unique to my vision. Travel schedules do not always allow for me to explore photographic options to the extent I would like and such was the case on the Scotland 12-Day Self Drive tour Lynn and I just completed. I'll elaborate ...
 
This trip was not a photo specific tour, it was a trip for Lynn and I to see Scotland and would have us on a schedule with pre-booked accommodation each night and with check in and check out time windows to meet as well as set distances to navigate by car each day. Given that I was both driver, navigator (for the most part) and photographer, it was not possible to be at locations at optimum times or in optimum conditions for photography. I was very much, you're there when you are and you get what you get as far as light and weather, then move on to the next. Far from the planning I might do ahead of shooting to check weather conditions, arrive at time for the best light, schedule a time to avoid excessive crowds etc.
 
Our first night was in Edinburgh and since we had done the Castle and Royal Mile on a previous visit, we started at the Scott Monument close to our hotel.

In this lead image, I used an 11mm focal length and extreme upward angle to capture a dramatic perspective emphasizing the grandeur of this monument to one of Scotland's iconic personalities.




 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This pair of shots were made from the lower walkway behind the monument to include some of the colourful flowers and flowing lines of the steps up to street level.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


For the final images for this post, I composed with the bright blue sky and white clouds, some would say not the norm for Scotland, to capture the beautiful weather we were fortunate to have as a welcome to Alba.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment