2018-04-02

Photo of the Week 2018-04-02

After playing hockey since the age of 8, with only a couple of brief hiatus', I decided to make this season my last  ...  

...  I'm "hanging 'em up"

'hanging 'em up"

Outside of photographing nature, wildlife and landscapes, I also find myself compelled to document certain aspects of life. In those cases, usually, there is an emotional attachment to the place, the subject or the moment as was the case for the image of my mother's hands or the ones I've made with memorabilia from my grandfather.

Recently, my regular group of pick-up hockey players had their last ice time of the season. I met one of these guys 28 years ago shortly after moving to Guelph and we have played together ever since.He has become a very good friend and as expected, there are many others that I have come to know through hockey through the years.

The decision to 'hang 'em up' comes at the same time I prepare to retire from a 35 year working career, the last 30 of those years with one company. Plans for the future would have me away and missing a lot of the early morning ice times and I don't think it's a wise decision to play only once in a while if I'm not in "game (for me) shape" after the age of 60. So it's time ...

... an emotional time for sure and one that I am compelled to document with my photography.

DJE

5 comments:

  1. I plan on making more time for D3D Steve. Getting back into golf is a main priority for me in retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your buddy is going to miss you, 28 years! I admire your passions and your timing. Great picture to document the day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karol. I'm gonna miss him too, at hockey anyway. I plan to keep in touch ... and we still need to have you guys over to the cottage for dinner and some socializing.

      Delete
  3. Nevertheless you will have a full life in this new phase. Congratulations for taking the step.

    ReplyDelete