2015-06-15

Photo of the Week 2015-06-15

For a while now I've felt that I've been slacking off with my photography. By slacking off I mean just grabbing the convenient shot, like walking down to the shore at the cottage and snapping a sunset, or throwing a camera over my shoulder when I go for a mid-day walk. Oh, I have been able to capture some decent images, a few anyway, but it's just not been satisfying, the way it is when I go out to locations selected specifically for photography and capture something special.

That requires initiative and particularly at the cottage, it's too easy to be content to just sit with a fresh coffee, relax and watch the day arrive. Mind you with sunrise close to 5:30 am this time of year it's early to get up and out to capture sunrise or photograph during the "golden hour", even for me.

When I heard there could be fog on Saturday morning, I decided it was time ...

hushed harbour
So just after 6 am, I first headed into the village to see if the harbour was shrouded in mist and sure enough it was. After parking, I grabbed one camera and started trying to find the best vantage point before conditions changed. The fog was shifting and I needed to work quickly. Sitting on the boat launch ramp at water's edge to get a low angle point of view, I heard the crew of Craigie's Restaurant outside chatting and having a break before the breakfast crowd came. Otherwise there was a peaceful hush over the harbour and wonderful golden diffused light ... and oh, those wonderful reflections.


I worked my way all around Little Tub Harbour and while driving along Bay St. as I left the village, most of the fog had lifted and only wisps remained, receding over the still water. I stopped for this parting shot of Big Tub Light across the water before heading south to Singing Sands to see what awaited me there.

It was well past time ... time I got back to this. These shots just aren't possible without making the effort to get out.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment