2014-09-22

Photo of the Week 2014-09-22

On a rainy Sunday after shopping for groceries in Tobermory, Lynn wanted to take a trip to the lighthouse before returning to the cottage. With the wind out of the NE, waves were crashing up and onto the rock that normally provides a dry place to stand and admire the scenery. We stayed for a while and I made some images before getting back in the car. While driving to the cottage, Lynn suggested visiting another location to check out the waves after lunch ... and I'm glad she did.

The location I chose was Little Cove and as we approached the water, descending along the wide path we could hear the rhythm of the waves crashing on the shore slowly becoming louder until we left the protection of the trees and onto the cobble beach. Just as I had hoped for, the waves were coming in on a slight angle, crashing along the east shoreline.

I shot the scene both wide to get the overall feel and tight to isolate details of the breaking, crashing waves and there are a number that I am happy with. The image below, my choice for this week is not one that shows the spray thrust high above the steep rocky shore, but one that gives an overall sense of what it was like along the shoreline.
late summer storm
The waves coming in off Georgian Bay were intensified as they were blown into the narrowing bay, reshaping, restricting, confining them. Once every several minutes, a few larger waves would push through the turmoil and make it to shore, either running well up the cobble beach or crashing into steep rock faces sending water high into the air.  

Summer is just ending ... could the gales of November come early ?

DJE

2 comments:

  1. Very nice, I like it. I think fall is here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karol. It's fall now (officially), and it sure felt like it already a couple of days ago standing on the beach to get these shots. The wind and cool temperature made me stand with my hands in pockets to warm them a few times.

      Delete